In light of last night’s events with Pevs, I thought I should share a CPR poster. I’m an EMT, and having other people, whether it be players, coaches, or whomever, CPR can be lifesaving, as it was for Pevs.
If you see someone collapse -
1. Have someone call 911, have another person go find an AED.
2. Tap the patient and shout something like “Hey! Hey! Are you OK?!”
3. If no response, check their carotid pulse (on their neck) for no more than 10 seconds, check for signs of breaking as well (chest moving up and down)
4. No pulse, begin CPR. (This part may sound awkward, but it’s the best way to perform CPR) Now place the heel of your hand in the middle of their chest, between their nipples. Curl your fingers into a fist on the patient’s chest. Now, place your other hand on top of the hand that is on the patient’s chest.
5. Push hard and fast. You want to get 100 compression per minute. The song “Staying Alive” has the perfect rhythm for 100 beats per minute. Give 30 compressions.
6. Open the patient’s airway. Give two breaths, look to see the chest rises, if so, you have given successful breaths.
7. Repeat sets of 30 compressions and 2 breaths.
8. when the AED arrives, turn it on and it will prompt you with what to do.
Now, this is just a basic outline. I highly recommend taking a CPR course if you ever have the chance. I hope I was helpful!